Star One Credit Union: Top 100 Best Credit Unions
Star One Credit Union is one of the 100 best credit unions in America based on our finalized list in July 2022. Some of the factors that led to us selecting this credit union:
- Net Worth: the credit union’s Net Worth Per Member exceeds $10,000 which ranks at above 99% of credit unions in the country. Its net worth per member is almost 10 times the average credit union in the country. In addition the credit unions net worth ratio is a very healthy 11.4%.
- Operating Efficiency: Star One Credit Union is one of the most efficiently run credit unions in the United States with an operating expense ratio that ranks it in the top decile.
- Dividends: over the past 3 years the credit union has paid its members an average of $372 in dividends each year, which we estimate represents a dividend rate of 1.1%. Not only is this significantly above the rate national banks pay, but it also ranks Star One in the top decline of credit unions as well.
- Product Offerings: the credit union offers most of the traditional banking products and services including an interest-bearing checking account that has no minimum balance and no monthly maintenance fees. Star One Credit Union also offers a savings account with a 0.90% APY which is 9 times above the national average.
- Technology: Star One Credit Union’s online banking capabilities is highly reviewed by its members with a 4.7/5.0 rating on iOS and 4.1/5.0 rating on Google Play. The credit union is also a Zelle Partner.
The credit union also maintains more than 30,000 surcharge free ATMs through its membership in the CO-OP. This is in addition to the credit union’s 6 branches in California and shared branches.
Overview of Star One Credit Union
Star One Credit Union was established in 1956 and is the 4th largest credit union operating in the state of California as measured by total assets. The company has 6 branches and 234 employees.
Who Can Join Star One Credit Union?
Membership to the credit union is open to individuals that fall into one of the following categories:
- Live, regularly work in, or attend school in Santa Clara County, California
- Live, regularly work in, or attend school in Alameda County, Merced County, Monterey County, San Benito County, San Joaquin County, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz County, and Stanislaus County, California (as of 02/26/2020)
- Employees of corporate partners (see full list here)
- Retirees of Lockheed Martin
- Immediate family members of current Star One Credit Union members
- Main Office Address: P.O. Box 3643, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3643
- Website: http://www.starone.org
- Phone: (408) 543-5202
- Charter Number: 68465
- Charter Year: 1956
- Employees: 237
- Star One Credit Union Routing Number: 321177968
- Membership Trends: Star One Credit Union has 117,450 members which is significantly larger than the average credit union operating within the state. Credit unions in California each have on average 48,358 members. Over the past two years, the credit union’s total membership has increased by 7%.
- Star One Credit Union is among the credit unions that use Zelle
Financial Metrics (as of March 2022):
- Total Assets: $11,057 million
- Total Loans: $4,829 million
- Total Net Worth: $1,260 million
- Total Net Worth Per Member: $10,725
- Net Worth Ratio: 11.4%. Based on the NCUA guidelines, this credit union is well capitalized.
Other Credit Unions in California
There are currently 267 credit unions operating in the state of California and combined these credit unions have 12.8 million members. In addition to this credit union, you may also be eligible to join the following credit unions in the state: First U.S. Community Credit Union, NorthCounty Credit Union and LBS Financial Credit Union.