Chevron Credit Union: One of The Best Credit Unions
Chevron Credit Union is one of the 100 best credit unions in America based on our finalized list in July 2022. Some of the factors that led to us selecting this credit union:
- Net Worth: The credit union’s Net Worth Per Member of $4,941 ranks it among the highest in the country and also among the top 100 best credit unions.
- Stability: Chevron Credit Union has been operating since 1935, making it one of the oldest credit unions in the country. We believe longevity is a good indicator of stability.
- Dividends: Members of Chevron Credit Union have received on average annual dividends of $330 over the past 3 years, representing a dividend rate of 1.2% – this is significantly higher than the average rate of credit unions and dramatically higher than the average interest rates offered by banks on checking and savings accounts.
- Operating Efficiency: Chevron Credit Union is also one of the most efficiently run credit unions in the United States with an operating expense ratio that ranks it in the top decile.
- Product Offerings: the credit union offers most of the traditional banking products and services including low fee checking accounts with free overdraft protection and ATM fee benefits across its extensive network of ATMs.
The credit union maintains more than 5,000 shared branches and 85,000+ surcharge free ATMs, has a mobile application that is well reviewed (4.8 stars on iOS) and Chevron Credit Union members can also enjoy the benefits of Zelle as the credit union counts itself as one of the credit unions that is part of the Zelle Network.
Who Can Join Chevron Credit Union?
You have to satisfy one of the following criteria to join the credit union:
- You are an employee or retiree of Chevron Corporation, its wholly-owned subsidiaries and select affiliates worldwide.
- You are a Chevron branded jobber or dealer, or federal lubricant marketer (jobbers).
- You are a contractor of Chevron Corporation, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, Western Refining or Aramco Services Company.
- You are an employee of a Chevron Federal Credit Union sponsor company.
- You live, work, worship, or attend school in, and or are a business and other legal entity located in select areas in San Francisco, California, or Frederick County, Maryland.
- You are a family member or household member of someone that is eligible to join the credit union — even if this person hasn’t joined.
- You are family members of a deceased member or eligible person — even if this person never joined.
- You are a member of one of the credit union’s nonprofit partner associations. These associations include the Financial Fitness Association which anyone can join for $8 per year, and automatically become eligible to join Chevron Credit Union.
- Main Office Address: P.O. Box 2069, Oakland, CA 94604
- Website: http://www.chevronfcu.org
- Phone: (800) 232-8101
- Charter Number: 24326
- Charter Year: 1935
- Employees: 326
- Chevron Credit Union Routing Number: 321075947
- Membership Trends: On average, credit unions in California each have 48,358 members while across the United States the equivalent figure is 26,711. By comparison, Chevron Credit Union has total members of 124,246 which is significantly larger than the average credit union in the state. Over the past three years, the credit union’s total base of members has increased by 12%.
Financial Metrics (as of March 2022):
- Total Assets: $4,895 million
- Total Loans: $3,558 million
- Total Net Worth: $614 million
- Total Net Worth Per Member: $4,941
- Net Worth Ratio: 12.5%. Based on the NCUA guidelines, this credit union is well capitalized.
Other Credit Unions in California
There are currently 267 credit unions operating in the state of California and combined these credit unions have 12.8 million members. In addition to this credit union, you may also be eligible to join the following credit unions in the state: Delta Schools Credit Union, Santa Clara County Credit Union and Northrop Grumman Credit Union.